Sunday, October 11, 2009

Not All Starbucks Are Created Equal

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but occasionally I crave it and splurge.

I hate dropping the dough for Starbucks (a.k.a. FiveBucks), but today I felt like getting myself a little treat.

I was tired from going to bed pretty late, so I headed over to a Starbucks near the mall and brought my book with me to read outside with my drink. I picked up a Pumpkin Spiced Latte since I was feeling in the autumn mood, and as soon as I sat down to relax, read and drink outside, I was struck with the taste of a very bitter-tasting coffee drink. Doesn't each Starbucks have the same recipe book?

Now that I've recently done some pretty ballsy things for me, like going on rollercoasters and singing karaoke in front of strangers, I decided to ditch my usual doormat self, go inside and request a new drink.

I figured getting the same drink might lead to the same bitter taste, so I opted for a plain ol' coffee. The barista apologized for the bad-tasting latte, gave me my new drink and sent me on my way - without giving me my change back for getting a cheaper drink. The place was a bit crowded, so of course, Doormat Tracy didn't say anything. I got my cream and sugar, and returned outside for some relaxation.

Well, that didn't happen.

My original seat was taken (dammit), and then this new drink (a plain coffee) tasted even worse! What the hell was wrong with this Starbucks? I had just spent almost $4 on a regular coffee that tasted like ass.

So what does a determined girl do? I throw it out and go to another Starbucks down the street.

I decided it wouldn't be too bad if I just got a smaller size of the same coffee - it's only $1.50. So I ordered it. Then this new barista asked if I wanted a pastry. Dammit, I couldn't say no.

So now I've spent almost $8 on a microscopic-sized plain coffee (that did taste better, actually) and a lemon pound cake that probably has 3,000 calories in it.

I didn't get to read much because it was cold and windy outside, so I gave up and came home. Oh, and I barely finished my tall coffee. Why didn't I just rebel against the corporate monopoly of Starbucks and hit up a local place? Probably would have saved me time, money and lots o' calories. No wonder I'm not a coffee drinker!

No comments:

Post a Comment