Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's Osama's Death, and I'll Celebrate If I Want To

I’m not a violent person by any means. I’ve never been one for revenge either – that whole “eye for an eye” thing is just not how I roll. I don’t believe in the death penalty for that reason – injecting someone and killing them quickly and painlessly is not justice to me. It’s the easy way out.

That said, I’m still a little perturbed that celebrating the death of Osama bin Laden is being frowned upon by some people – that it somehow means we are stooping to the level of terrorists in rejoicing in violence and death.

But here is the vast difference between anti-American terrorists and us: we are relieved and overjoyed that an enemy is dead, not civilians. And it’s my belief that his death itself is not the core reason of our joy – it’s the symbolism behind it. Bin Laden represented pure hatred and evil, and killing him is a key climactic event in the tragedy this country (and the whole world) experienced on September 11, 2001.

I wasn’t alive back in the World War II days, but I’m pretty sure we weren’t afraid to celebrate the death of Hitler. And while Osama bin Laden never had the destructive reach of that psycho, he’s still the devil in human form just as Hitler was, in my eyes.

So for these reasons, I celebrate bin Laden’s death. I rejoice in his demise. I am happy he is no longer here, and I most definitely relish the fact that he’s burning in hell right now. I’m proud of our troops and what they’ve been fighting toward for the past 10 years. I’m proud to be an American, so damn it, I’m going to shout “USA! USA!” at that bastard’s death all I want!

On that same token, people are also calling into question the decency of his burial – that it somehow was offensive to give the cowardly asshole an Islamic burial at sea. I may celebrate his death, but I’m not against disposing of him in a respectful-to-his-culture manner. Not doing so is an affront to the Muslim community, not him.

And how else would we have gotten rid of him? Burned him to pieces? Desecrated his body? Umm, does no one remember Abu Gharib? What a shameful time in our military’s history. We are better than that, and we got rid of the remains of bin Laden – the evil soul of the guy was already dead and gone.

Just my 2 cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment