Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Karaoke: The Key to Bonding with Co-Workers

I frickin' love my job.

I already knew I would love it the minute I interviewed at the office, but here I am, finally getting in the swing of things and able to step outside the swirl of newness and see the job for what it is. I genuinely like coming into work and delving into new projects, sometimes so busy I forget to use the restroom or eat. That's the best!

This love of the job became all the more clear last week when our office met up in San Francisco with all of the company's California offices. First off, I got my own room at the W Hotel, which is sweet in and of itself. Not to mention, Ryan Gosling walked through the lobby 5 minutes before I did. So basically he and I were sleeping together (albeit in separate rooms and probably separate floors, but hey - what's a few concrete walls and insulation?).

This summit, if you will, made it all the more obvious why my company rocks - everyone is so brilliant and creative! It really lit my fire and got me all charged up to come back to the office and kick ass (I believe we call this "morale"). You know how there are those moments where you stop and think, "This is exactly where I'm supposed to be"? That was me last week. And really that's been me in a nutshell the last couple months.

Besides networking and professional development, my colleagues and I cut loose and went out for karaoke one night. As someone who tap dances and has a penchant for 2Pac, I quickly earned the name "Tracy the Rapper Tapper." Once people heard my go-to karaoke song was "Shoop," one of my co-workers immediately signed me up. It was a complete hit! All of us danced and sang along - my rapping was even mentioned by my boss at the meeting the next morning, and it was later mentioned again by the head of the San Diego office in front of everyone. Yes! Just the rep I need - the token white girl with thug appeal. But really - it was a great way to get closer to everyone and to help ease that stiffness you experience at a new job. I'm feeling much more comfortable at the office!

In other news, I realized the other day that I'm actually meeting one of my biggest goals - living in the present! So much of my time has been dedicated to dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. For the first time in a long time - maybe ever - I'm living each day as it is, experiencing things fully and soaking up every moment. It truly is a happy time in my life, and it makes dealing with the bad things so much easier.

Sure, nothing is perfect. One of my good friends doesn't want to be good friends anymore. I wrote him that I missed him and wished we could still hang out, but all I got back was a harsh email saying that we aren't going to be friends. He thought that me having a boyfriend and him seeing someone means we should be "fair" to them and not hang out. Well, for the record, Ty is the least jealous/possessive/controlling person I know. He would never stop me from hanging out with friends or other guys because he's secure in what we have. And that's the way it should be! But regardless, this guy friend (ex-friend) sounds to me like he's putting up a front that he's so "over it." Really? So after years of friendship, good times and memories, you're just done with it because I got a boyfriend? Oh, and he thought my reaching out was to soothe my own guilt for hurting him. Well, clearly his curt words rid me of any guilty feelings at this point. I'm a good friend, and I wish that were enough for some people. But I guess putting up this harsh exterior and making excuses is all people can do to protect themselves. And that's his prerogative. My prerogative is to not live in the past anymore, so adios.

That's about it over here for now. Just working a lot, trying to not be annoyed of my cat who is either barfing or getting litter from her box everywhere, and spending time with friends and family. A pretty fabulous summer thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment