I almost blew up my apartment last night.
I got this crazy idea to bake a cheesecake last night, so I hit up Super Wal-Mart for the ingredients as well as an electric mixer, since I didn't own one.
Imagine my amazement when I found a handheld mixer for only $6 and some change! Ahh, the magic of child labor.
I swooped that puppy up and went on my merry way to bake.
Within 2 minutes of mixing my cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla, I witnessed a huge spark and the mixer started smoking. I promptly turned the thing off, as a creepy, dangerous smell wafted through my kitchen.
This wasn't looking good.
After unplugging the piece of crap and waiting a few minutes, I decided to try it again. Poof! A large spark and then smoke.
I decided it was probably best if I just carry on and mix the damn thing by hand. I'm hoping it turned out OK and that there aren't random chunks of egg or sour cream in the cake.
I guess I shouldn't expect anything less - the thing was made in China and only cost me 6 doll-hairs! I've now put an electric mixer (preferably a trustworthy brand-named one) on my Christmas list.