Thursday, November 5, 2009

Textiquette

I've always wondered if there was some manual out there for text etiquette in certain situations. It would really help me out.

One time I got a text from a guy I had a crush on, and it was our first time texting. We didn't know each other that well, so it's not like we had a lot of conversation topics to cover.

As a fan of the show "Tough Love," I remembered an episode where the matchmaker host told the girls that they should only text guys "need-to-know" things, such as "I'm running 20 minutes late" or "Friday works for me."

I blatantly ignored those rules and ended up texting this crush about my cat's barfing problem and gum.

Why, oh why, do I have diarrhea of the mouth, or rather fingers in this case?? Couldn't I just have responded simply and called it a day? Nope, because I like to embarrass myself. His responses to me were minimal and then kaput.

I admit that my feelings are hurt when I text someone and they don't write back. C'mon, all I'm asking for is a little acknowledgment! I mean, it's fine if the conversation is done, but if someone blatantly ignores me, well it just bugs.

Oh, and don't even get me started on my pet peeve of one-worded text messages. What a waste! Note to anyone out there who texts me: don't just write back "Cool" or "OK." Even a little ol' smiley face will do.

I know not everyone is a texter. Some people can hold long, massive, drawn-out conversations via text. Others prefer to stick to the basics. I'd like to think of myself as somewhere in between. I like to send back a couple here and there with people, like if I think of something funny to tell them. It's also good for making plans and checking in on friends without having to talk on the phone for 2 hours.

I'm still unsure how to follow text protocol when it comes to guys. I don't want to be too annoying and reveal my whole life story in 140-character long increments, but I also want to show off more of my personality than a generic "I'm doing well, thanks."

I guess there's really no in-between for me. It's either boring, mundane responses or my TMI cat barfing drama. FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment