Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm Free to Decide

I'm proud to say I've already pretty much completed my New Year's resolution. I made the goal to be more decisive, so rather than sitting around, mulling over what my next step in life is, I grabbed the bull by the horns.

I'm now registered for the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) and headed for grad school! Pending my acceptance, of course.

I've been thinking about going back to school for awhile now, so once I decided what I want to do with my life, I took the steps to make it happen.

First off, what to get my degree in. Of course PR has always been my thing, but I was questioning it there for awhile. Now I know that this is an industry meant for me, even if it means I'd like to get into other areas of it later on. I'd love to work in-house somewhere, possibly at a university or an organization I care about. So I'm going to pursue a master's in organizational communication.

I bought a GRE study book the other day and am signed up to take the test on Feb. 6. Yikes! Right around the corner. I'm trying to study a little bit each day, with greater emphasis on weekends. So far, I'm feeling good about it. I know I'm not going to ace the thing, but that's fine because it's not like I'm shooting for Harvard.

Which brings me to my next decision - where to go. I've always considered moving somewhere an option, although my family and great life in this area are really what keep me here. Plus, I'd like to go somewhere relatively affordable so I'm not in any great debt in a couple years. So I'll be submitting my application to Sac State by March 1.

Next item - paying for school. I just completed my FAFSA application today (to apply for federal scholarships and loans). I doubt I'll get any free money, so I'm planning on taking out some student loans. That's the kind of debt that's worth it!

It was a huge weight off my shoulders once I got that all figured out. Of course, it'll be much more work from here on out, but I'm excited for the whole process.

Another great thing happened this week - I got a promotion! I'm now a senior associate. That was a very nice boost, and the raise ain't bad either ;)

Here's to a wonderful and decisive 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment