Wednesday, January 27, 2010

All I Need to Know I Learned from "Dawson's Creek"

Studying for the GRE is no easy task. I guess it's been awhile since I've studied for a standardized test, but I assumed that with college under my belt, I'd do OK. Eh, I'm having mixed feelings about it. This is not going to be a cake walk by any means.

Luckily, I've found some more entertaining exercises for practicing the Verbal section - watching old episodes of "Dawson's Creek." Whoever wrote that show must have had SAT/GRE flashcards by their side because the characters (who are supposed to be 16, by the way) sound like literary geniuses.

Not only is the show great for entertainment, but it gives me a fun way to practice big words!

Besides watching the show, my sister also let me borrow her GRE Verbal flashcards. Ugh, for someone who loves words as much as I do, I abhor studying these (ooh, abhor. Good one!). When will I ever use the word "perspicacious"? That's right - never. Some of these words are completely fatuous.

Now I'm focusing more on the Quantitative section a.k.a. math portion. We don't get to use calculators, which is so pointless - who will ever have to do some sort of equation in the real world when a calculator (or cell phone with calculator abilities) is not available? Again - never. Yeah, yeah. I need to strengthen my critical thinking skills and not just rely on thesauruses and calculators. It's still very frustrating though.

In other news, things are going very well. My friend Alanna is coming over tonight, and I'm making beef stew in my Crock Pot! Plus I'm baking corn bread, and she's bringing over an apple crisp. Ahh, the joy of getting fat. I love it!

I'm getting SO excited for the Miss America pageant this weekend. One of my good friends, Christina, is representing Nevada! And the competition is in Las Vegas, so she's the home state queen :) I'm so excited for her, even though this past year has meant that we don't talk as much since she's so busy. I do feel like we've drifted apart in a way, but I still wish her the best this week. She's the only redhead in the competition too! I hope she knocks the judges' socks off! Especially that detestable Rush Limbaugh.

Well, that's all for now. Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment