Friday, November 4, 2011

The Sucky Side of Solo Living

I seem to always hoot and holler about how much I love living alone. And don't get me wrong - I still do. I love coming home to a clean place just as I left it. It's quiet every single time I go to bed. The DVR only holds my crappy TV shows, and I can sprint around the place in my knickers if I so please.

But then there are those times when I wish I wasn't living alone:

1) Fear factor. The day after Halloween, I was stupid and read a blog where readers submitted their true ghost stories. I thought if I read them during the day I'd be fine. Nope! One of the stories involved a cat reacting to something while it was curled up on a girl's bed. So when I woke up at 4 a.m. last night and Cammie perked her ears up over something, I was all freaked out and couldn't go back to sleep. And how's this for a grown, 25-year-old woman: I was so thirsty, yet I was too scared to get up and go get a glass of water! I've also had a couple nightmares recently, and it would be really nice if I could wake up and (Dad, look away) be next to Ty. Sadly, he works out of town during most weeks, so it's just me and my ghost-detecting kitty.

2) Money honey. My car is one heap of crap. I mean, it gets me from Point A to Point B, but it has all kinds of weird quirks about it. This is where extra money (i.e. someone paying half my rent and bills) would come in handy. I work for a nice firm in a nice downtown building. Yet here I come hauling through the parking garage in my hoopty, with my brakes making some awful noise. Oh, and there's that fun part where I have to open my whole door just to scan my card for entry and exit (window doesn't roll down anymore). So yeah, some more sheckles in my pocket - going toward a new car - would be stellar.

3) Bored Broad. This past week, I've been getting some extra social interaction - Halloween night with Grams, dinner with the boyfriend's mom and brother last night (yes, without the boyfriend being there. I might love his family more than I love him. Sorry, honey!), and tonight is Girls Poker Night with my best friends. But other than that, I'm usually home just tooling around. Sometimes it's great, but other times I'd really like to chat away or have someone to run errands with. Not to mention, cooking for one is not too exciting. I can only handle a frozen piece of chicken from my Crock Pot for so long.

I read some advice somewhere that said your 20s are a special time in your life when you get to be alone. Once you're married and have kids, you're never alone again (unless you're a divorced empty-nester or a widow, but I'm banking on being married forever and dying first, dammit). So really, this is a unique time when I need to soak up this peace and quiet while it lasts. I just need to keep telling myself that when it's 3 a.m. and I'm scared the girl from "The Ring" is going to pop out.

1 comment:

  1. Trace-- I am SO jealous of your own space. I wish I could decorate in white wicker furniture (I know, kinda lame) and all pink and black and white fleur-de-lis prints. Enjoy these years you have to do WHATEVER you want with your own place, because having to compromise with the person you live with isn't always much fun. I enjoy the companionship, yes, but sometimes I wish I'd had the balls to live on my very own first before getting married. You're my Carrie Bradshaw, babe.

    ReplyDelete