Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Follow Through

Nothing quite irritates me more than flakiness (except maybe people who brag, but that's a topic for ranting later). I try my best to be one of those people who does what she says she's going to do - my word is my bond.

Sure, I'm not perfect at this by any stretch. Last week I ducked out of decorating a friend's office for her birthday because it was getting late, and I was tired and cranky. It was something I'd been planning on doing, but I ended up flaking (and subsequently feeling guilty about it). And sometimes I forget to call people back after they've texted or left me a voicemail. More times than not, though, I follow through on shit.

That's why it bugs when people don't have that same philosophy. I have a couple so-called friends who will conveniently forget I exist for awhile, then pop up randomly. Or there are the people I've known who make all these plans or promises, yet they just can't seem to turn the words into action. Don't plan on having lunch with me if you have no intention of doing so. And don't say you miss me, yet when I try to be engaged in your life, I don't hear a peep back.

There are, thankfully, the people in my life who do what they say they're going to do. These are the people I love! They call when they say they will, and even when I mention small things, they remember them later and make an effort to stay involved in my life. These are the kinds of people I should focus on - not the flakes. I'm truly thankful for this group of people in my life who talk the talk and walk the walk.

I talked on the phone with one of these people (one of my best girlfriends) last night for an hour and a half, and it felt great. And one of the things I love so much about my beau is that he believes in the follow through. He's a man of his word, and I didn't realize how important this was until I noticed how uncommon that quality is.

As is a common theme in many of my posts, I dwell on the past. I have a hard time letting go, and I try with all my might to recreate the past due to my nostalgia. I've held on to old relationships, and I've had trouble letting go of friendships that just weren't mean to be. It's high time I forget these flakes in my life - the people who don't make me a priority like I do for them. The people whose lack of action is actually saying to me all I need to know - that we're not really friends.

If I just keep on focusing on what I have, rather than what I don't have, there's no need to miss anything. I've got it all right here, people whose actions are loud and clear. And for that, I am ever so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment