Thursday, December 10, 2009

Baby Fever

I never saw myself as one of those baby-crazy girls who are just dying to get married and have one. As someone with acute emetaphobia (fear of vomiting), the idea of morning sickness frightens me more than actual labor.

But now I've had my first newborn encounter, and I've totally got the baby fever!

My friend Serena gave birth yesterday to beautiful little Sadie, and I went to visit her after work. This was the first newborn I've ever held, and it was just the most enchanting thing ever! I wanted to just take her home and cuddle forever (which Serena told me I could until she was 3, when those terrible 2's are over).

I also started watching some new reality show on MTV called "Teen Mom," which follows 4 teenage girls who gave birth while still in high school. Obviously their situations are difficult given their young ages, but it's still amazing to watch these girls forge into motherhood and basically become adults quicker than their peers.

So it's just babies, babies, babies everywhere! And I want one! OK, OK. I know I'm still young (and single). A husband would probably be a good first step. I've got plenty of time for that, but I must say, I'm really looking forward to when I'm in that stage of my life. I used to envy men because they aren't burdened with all of the stuff we women are. Now I actually feel sorry for them because they will never understand that mother-child bond.

I even got to see the whole breastfeeding process yesterday. Holy Hanukkah, I'm scared for that part. And for all those little tricks of the trade and knowing how to do everything and what every cry means, etc. I freak out when Cammie makes a weird coughing sound or yaks up her food!

Hmmm, maybe my baby fever has broken. While exciting, it's also very daunting and scary! I don't want to screw up a little person. Sigh....I guess it's good that I'm nowhere near ready for that stage.

Dad, you can breathe a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment