Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye, 2009. I Will Not Miss You.

It seems to be the resounding theme lately for everyone to be anxiously waiting for the end of this shiteous year.

I am also one of these haters of 2009, and it brings me great joy in thinking that in just 14 short hours, a clean slate will be made and we can all start anew.
This is all theoretical, of course, because tomorrow is really just another day (well, it'll be a fabulous day off and hopefully a win for my Oregon Ducks in the Rose Bowl!).

Not to take away from the people who have it much worse than I do, but some pretty crappy things happened to me this year: my parents lost their house to foreclosure, my heart was majorly broken for the 345th time, my stress level shot through the roof with my previous roommate situation, my cousin is going through cancer treatment, a trip to Oregon was ruined by drama, I dealt with bitchy girls, I was reminded just how much my ex-boyfriends don't miss me, I went on charity dates that left me dejected and Christmas was pretty much a bust.

Of course, there were many good moments that happened this year that should not be overshadowed by my pessimism: my parents live in a great home now that's perfect for them, my heart rebounds a lot better than I've ever given myself credit for, I went to two beautiful weddings, I figured out what the hell was wrong with Cammie's barfing problem, I moved out on my own into a place I adore, I mended a broken friendship, my good friend gave birth to an adorable baby girl, I went on hands-down the best vacation ever in SoCal with my family, I met new people that gave me hope that good hearts do exist, my old co-worker Laura rejoined us at the office, I learned job appreciation, I successfully presented on domestic violence/sexual assault for WEAVE to various groups in the community, I took a creative writing class and I decided that being single isn't so bad.

I have no idea what to expect in 2010 - I'm changing my mind all the time, but I do want to start thinking seriously about grad school. First step - studying for the GRE! I might look into taking some yoga or pilates classes also. Another thing I hope to do is move in with my friend Erica! I think living with a friend might be a good thing for me - I can do the living alone thing, but it's nice to come home to someone :) Another wish of mine is to re-do my Oregon trip - I may go in June for a reunion with some old PR mates and dorm buddies!

My plans tonight include going out downtown with a group of people, most of whom I don't know. But I do know I'll be ending the year in style - with vodka!

We'll see what happens in 2010....as long as the good outweighs the bad, I'll be OK.

Happy New Year, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment