Monday, December 14, 2009

If You Don't Shmooze, You Lose

I was feeling a bit dejected earlier today. My boss gave us all the assignment to each send out 10 Christmas cards to anyone we wanted (business-related), rather than us sending dozens as a whole.

Ten cards sounded simple enough. And then I began to make my list in my notebook.

Let's see, there's the nice lady that I chat with at the local newspaper office here. There's a small client of ours that I mostly deal with, and then there's another client that would seem appropriate for me to send a card to.

And....

I couldn't think of anyone else.

How sad that I am a work loner! This is what I get for not shmoozing. Anytime I've gone to Sacramento Public Relations Association events, I get shy and don't always talk up everyone. I do meet many nice people, and I can talk to strangers. I guess I just never take that next step in forming a business relationship. I guess that would make me single in the work world, as well as in real life.

Sheesh, I need to step my game up!

Thankfully, my boss and co-worker both came to my rescue and helped me come up with a few other folks. Now I'm up to 9. I thought about addressing one to our UPS guy, but that idea was quickly poo-poo'd. Maybe the dry cleaning guy that comes in? OK, now I'm just pushing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment